Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why Japanese?

4
Konnichiwa minasan!

This is the beginning of my third week at Columbia University and, in turn, my third week of learning Japanese. So far this has been a challenging, but very fun experience. Not only have I never studied the language before, but I took four years of Latin in high school, so Japanese is completely foreign to me(pun intended). Although it may appear as if I am only taking First Year Japanese to fulfill a requirement, that is not the case. I have always wanted to learn the language. When I was in 11, I even bought myself a Japanese for Dummies book, but I was never able to commit myself to it. I'm very interested in Japanese culture and I am an even bigger fan of Japanese food. I hope that by the end of the semester, I will be able to hold a good conversation with my sensei, classmates and my waiters. :-)

-John

4 Response to Why Japanese?

September 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM

こんにちわ、ジョンサン。

I am delighted to find that you are in my group.

It was very nice to read your mini-bio.

じゃまたね。

September 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I love Japanese food, too!
Actually I just ate sushi at Ferris Booth
ジョンさんのポストをみることはほんとにおもしろいです!

September 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM

もと、もと、もと。。。

October 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Looking at this post a year after you published it, I'm wondering how you feel about にほんご。Has it gotten easier? I'm a first year now.